Thursday, February 26, 2009

AMNQ # 1

""We may be one of the poorest countries in the world," she told Abba. "But we are the richest in brains.""
-Aisha on page 3

This phrase really stuck out to me because it seems very true. A lot of extremely smart people come from Bangladesh. Also I thought the phrase was cool because (according to Aisha) people in Bangladesh have a lot of smarts but not as much material wealth which I thought was strange because normally people who are very smart can get jobs that give a lot of money which is what confused me a little about this quote. I thought the quote was witty too because Aisha made it up on the spot and to make up something like that would take most people a ton of time but Aisha is pretty much a genius so she could do that kind of thing.

2 comments:

  1. that really stuck out to me to. It seemed like they didn't really care about how much money they had, i mean yeah they wanted to earn it but just so they could by food and stuff for the house. i think the value brains more because her dad is taping her older sister report cards on the windshield and boasting how his daughter was really smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. How come the sentence seems very true to you? Why do you think a lot of extremely smart people come from Bangladesh? Her father is a waiter, and the narrator seems like she isn't a genius... If there we lots of extremely smart people in Bangladesh(I am not saying there's not), I agree it is a little puzzling why the country isn't that powerful. Maybe it hasn't developed to the speed of others, plus isn't it a country at war? I've noticed you have a run on sentence. -Falcon

    ReplyDelete